Elephant electrocuted

By Our Reporter

 Shillong: An adult female elephant was electrocuted near Meata village under Baghmara Reserve Forest in South Garo Hills on Thursday morning.

Meata village is around 3 km away from Baghmara, the district headquarters of South Garo Hills.

According to the villagers, the incident took place at around 2. am when a herd of wild elephants was crossing the village.Kamal Medhi, spokesperson of Samrakshan Trust, an NGO engaged in conservation of ecology in Garo Hills, said that it was due to the gross negligence of Meghalaya Energy Corporation Limited (MeECL) that the elephant was electrocuted.

The villagers had made complaints regarding the fallen electric wires in the village the previous day. However, the villagers failed to receive any response from the authority in this regard, Medhi said. Moreover, there was rain when the incident took place.

This is the third incident of elephant electrocution in the district apart from one each in Jadi and Era Aning in December 2010 and May 2011 respectively.