Developed By: iNFOTYKE
The Shillong Times first appeared as a tabloid weekly on 10th August 1945 under the editorship of Late Sudhindra Bhusan Chaudhuri.
In 1958 it was converted to a Daily. Owing to financial constraints, within six months it reverted back to a weekly.
In the 1961 Late P.N.Chaudhuri took over the weekly as its Editor-Proprietor.
Consequent on the death of P.N.Chaudhuri,his son Mr.Manas Chaudhuri took over the reins of the Shillong Times on 1st April 1978.
Overcoming various hurdles, The Shillong Times emerged as a Daily in March 1987 under Letter Press System.
On 15th August 1991, The Shillong Times switched over to offset Web Printing system signalling a quantum jump in terms of technology.
On 9th November 1992, The Shillong Times launched its Garo Hills Edition for Tura.
A popular Garo weekly “ Janera” was launched on 13th January 1993. The weekly was converted to a Daily on 31st July 2000 and was renamed as “Salantini Janera”.
The Shillong Times celebrated its Golden Jubliee through a memorable year-long celebration held in Shillong,Tura,Guwahati and Delhi during 1995-96.
Diamond Jubilee celebration held in 2004-2005 was inaugurated by Prime Minister Dr.Manmohan Singh at a glittering function at Guwahati.
In 2005,Mr.Manas Chaudhuri was awarded Padmashri in recognition of his service to the people through Journalism.
In March 2008,consequent on his appointment as a Cabinet Minister in Meghalaya, Mr.Manas Chaudhuri made way for Padmashri Ms Patricia Mukim to succeed as the Editor.
In June 2009, a Bengali Daily “Sangbad Lahari” published from Guwahati was added to the family of Shillong Times.