News Alerts
prev next

Custodial death sparks attack on police station, 1 protestor killed



GUWAHATI:  An alleged custodial death of a youth, Hasan Ali, in Dhula police station of northern Assam’s Darrang district led to a tensed situation in the area on Wednesday following death of another youth, Moidul Islam, when police resorted to firing on a mob that was pelting stones on the police station in protest against the death in custody. The authorities were compelled to clamp indefinite curfew in areas under Dhula police station.

A Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal promptly ordered a high-level inquiry into the violent incident and deaths which will be conducted by Additional Chief Secretary, M G V K Bhanu  and submit the report to the CM.

More than 500 hundred people came out on streets and gheraoed Dhula police station since Wednesday morning against the alleged custodial death of one Hasan Ali, who was arrested by Dhula police late Tuesday night on suspicion of possessing illegal weapons.

Ali was allegedly tortured in custody and was brought to Gauhati Medical College and Hospital here om Wednesday morning, where he died.

A mob of  local protestors came out on the streets demanding arrest of the erring police officials and monetary compensation for the bereaved family. A district official informed that protestors pelted stones at Dhula police station forcing the police to retaliate in defence with baton charge and firing tear gas shells and rubber bullets.

One of the protestors succumbed to injuries sustained during the mob violence, while another three protestors and three policemen were injured in the incident

Darrang deputy commissioner A Barman, who rushed to the spot, ordered the suspension of the officer in-charge of the police station, Ranjit Hazarika. A magisterial probe has also been ordered.

Police have also registered a case against Hazarika and the deputy commissioner assured of stringent action if he is found guilty.

He also ordered curfew under Dhula police station area, though the NH 15 running through the area has been kept open for traffic and vehicles were being provided police escort along the stretch. Barman said the situation was brought under control, though tension continued grip the area.



You might also like More from author


error: Content is protected !!