News Alerts
prev next

Govt zeroes in on 2 judges to probe NGH firing

CM to finalise name to head panel next week

SHILLONG: The name of the retired judge to head the judicial probe into the firing incident in North Garo Hills will be decided next week, Chief Secretary K S Kropha said on Saturday.
“The Government got verbal consent from two retired judges and the suitable name among them will be decided by the chief minister soon,” Kropha said.
The official, however, did not divulge the names of the retired judges.
On the night of March 6, police fired at three civilians travelling in a vehicle in Resubelpara. The injured men were areca nut trader Tubal A. Sangma, driver of the vehicle Janrak K. Sangma, and another occupant Milseng Sangma.
Though two police personnel involved in the incident were suspended, pressure groups wanted the transfer and further action against North Garo Hills SP Dalton Marak who was earlier indicted by a Judicial Inquiry Commission that probed the firing incident in Tura in 2005 against protesters, including students who were against the bifurcation of MBoSE. Kropha said that since there are varied views on the North Garo Hills firing incident, all aspects into the matter will be probed by the Judicial Inquiry Commission.
The three civilians had earlier claimed that they mistook the police personnel as dacoits and hence did not stop the vehicle.
However, the stand of the police was that they were hunting for a hardcore militant William Sangma since March first week in areas under Resubelpara.
The chief secretary said besides providing ex gratia to the families of the victims, the treatment expense of the injured will be borne by the Government.

You might also like More from author

Comments