Developed By: iNFOTYKE
Early morning fire destroys city shops
SHILLONG/NONGSTOIN: A major fire broke out in a four-storeyed Assam-type building at Dhankheti early on Wednesday morning destroying several shops.
There were eateries, furniture shops as well as residences in the building. A short circuit in the kitchen of a fast food shop possibly led to the fire that started around 4.30 am on Wednesday. The flames raged after two or three gas cylinders burst and engulfed many shops, including a furniture shop, an eatery, a video parlour and a paan shop. The blasts were so powerful that it was heard even in Laban.
The building belonged to one Haman Bareh of Lachumiere, and inquiry is currently on to ascertain the exact cause of the fire.
The estimated loss in the incident is around Rs 3 crore according to police.
However, no casualties were reported and as many as 9-10 fire tenders were rushed to the spot to douse the flames that came under control only around noon.
In a separate incident in Nongstoin on Wednesday, the house of one Bahunlinda Pariong and Redyshalroy Nongrang at Rambrai market caught fire around 1.30am and was completely gutted.
The incident took place when the family members were not at home. Sources said the fire broke out due to the negligence of the family who left firewood inside the house. The total loss is more than Rs 1.50 lakh.