Developed By: iNFOTYKE
Tribunal slaps 5-yr ban on HNLC
SHILLONG: The Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Tribunal has extended the ban on HNLC for a period of five years.
After the two hearings of the Tribunal held on March 7 and April 18 in Shillong, the final sitting was held on April 29 in Delhi following which the Tribunal confirmed the extension of ban.
Earlier during the hearing, both the State and the Centre wanted the ban on HNLC to continue.
Both the State Government and the Centre also made written submissions before the Judge of the Registrar, Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Tribunal Delhi High Court, New Delhi, AK Pathak.
The Supreme Court lawyer and the state government counsel Ranjan Mukherjee said on Sunday that as per the amended Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Tribunal Act, the duration of the ban is for five years from the earlier ban period of two years.
He said the Meghalaya Home department has got the confirmation on the extension of ban for five years from the Union Home Ministry.
Mukherjee said that publication of the official notification related to the extension of ban will take 20 to 25 days.
When contacted, the Joint Secretary in charge North East, ministry of home affairs, Shambu Singh said on Sunday that the extension of ban was confirmed by the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Tribunal.
It was on November 16, 2000 that HNLC was banned for the first time and subsequently there was periodical ban for two years each over the years.
Following the appeal of the state government last year to HNLC to come forward for dialogue, the militant outfit had responded and said that it was ready to hold unconditional talks within the ambit of the constitution.
However, the recent media reports said that both the State and the Centre are not so keen to hold talks due to the swindling strength of the outfit.