News Alerts
prev next

Hughes dies from head injuries

Sydney: Promising Australian batsman Philip Hughes yesterday succumbed to his head injuries that he sustained during a domestic match on Tuesday, leaving the cricket fraternity in shock over the huge tragedy.

The 25-year-old cricketer, who was in contention for a Test recall for the coming series against India, died at the St Vincent’s Hospital, where he was battling for life after being hit on the head by a bouncer from Sean Abbot.

“It is my sad duty to inform you that a short time ago Phillip Hughes passed away,” Australian team doctor Peter Brukner said in a statement.

“He never regained consciousness following his injury on Tuesday. He was not in pain before he passed and was surrounded by his family and close friends.”

Hughes played 26 Tests in his short-career, scoring 1,535 runs at 32.65 with three centuries and seven fifties. His final Test was at Lord’s in July 2013.

He also played 25 ODIs, and remains the only Australian to score a century on ODI debut. His final ODI came last month against Pakistan in Abu Dhabi, one week after he played his lone T20 international against the same opposition in Dubai.

“As a cricket community we mourn his loss and extend our deepest sympathies to Phillip’s family and friends at this incredibly sad time,” Brukner said.

“Cricket Australia kindly asks that the privacy of the Hughes family, players and staff be respected.”

The incident happened when Hughes was batting for South Australia during a Sheffield Shield match against New South Wales on Tuesday. He was batting on 63 when he was struck by the bouncer below the helmet while trying to play a hook shot.

He was administered CPR and mouth-to-mouth resuscitation at the ground before being taken to hospital. He underwent a 90-minute emergency operation before being placed in an induced coma in the Intensive Care Unit of the St Vincent’s Hospital but he never regained consciousness.

Cricket NSW Chief Executive Andrew Jones said: “Phillip is fondly remembered as a bright and cheeky young man with an infectious smile who emerged as an outstanding junior more than a decade ago.

“Like so many NSW and Australian players before him, Phillip moved to Sydney to play Grade Cricket and found a home at Western Suburbs.

“Phillip had already scored 26 first class centuries and his best cricket was ahead of him. It is unspeakably sad he cannot now achieve his potential in the game.

South Australian Cricket Association Chief Executive Keith Bradshaw said: “While everyone at SACA is hurting, the immediate thoughts of all staff and players are for Phillip’s family who were with him at St Vincent’s Hospital in Sydney”.

“He was a very popular member of both the West End Redbacks and Adelaide Strikers cricket teams and a favourite of the SACA members and cricket fans across South Australia and Australia, and we are all struggling to come to terms with the news.

“Loved by everyone, Phillip was a really terrific person and a remarkable talent. He had many friends and teammates here and interstate that will need support, and it is important we offer them our love and care as we all come to terms with this.

The Board of Control for cricket in India (BCCI) Thursday expressed its deepest condolences to the family and friends of late batsman Phillip Hughes who died after being struck on the head by a bouncer.

“On behalf of the BCCI, I express my deepest condolences to the family and friends of Phillip Hughes who passed away, days before he turned 26, and left an indelible mark on the cricketing community,” BCCI secretary Sanjay Patel said in a statement. (PTI)

You might also like More from author

Comments

error: Content is protected !!